Purchase of this course will provide access to the recorded webinar version of the course below.
Course Code: WEB0420h-4
0.1 AOTA CEUs/1 Contact Hours
Target Audience: Licensed/Certified Medical Professional (i.e. PT, OT, Physician, Nurse), Rehab Professional (ATP, SMS, CRTS), Reimbursement & Billing Specialists
Course Description: This course will take time to explore the foundation of a mat evaluation looking into how measuring a client properly can translate into the appropriate equipment recommendations. Without an in-depth mat assessment to start the equipment recommendation process, you are leaving the outcome to chance. Every client is unique as are their seating and positioning needs. The key way to identify these unique needs comes in the form of the mat evaluation. This class provides an overview of what a mat evaluation should be comprised of, what positioning and orthopedic factors should be assessed, along with examples of proper linear measurement techniques and assessment. This course helps to bridge a gap that exists between ATPs and clinicians to bring the two together as a team who can better collaborate and come up with the optimal outcomes desired. We will follow a standardized wheelchair assessment form to complete anatomical linear measurements and apply these measurements to a seating set up.
At the conclusion of the course the participant will be able to:
- Correctly identify a minimum of 3 wheelchair seating and positioning principles in the evaluation process.
- Analyze 2 linear client measurements and identify the relationship to ordering the equipment to match those measurements
- Distinguish the difference in 2 common orthopedic abnormalities: pelvic obliquity and rotation and how that impacts general body positioning related to seating goals
- Hour 1
- Review the basic principles of seating and algorithmic approach of postural evaluation
- Review common pelvic abnormalities that can impact overall positioning and how to address these if reducible or non-reducible
- Review the linear measurement process following a standardized assessment form
Course Level: Beginner / Review
Instructional Methods: Lecture, Discussion
AOTA Classification Code: OT Process – Evaluation, Intervention