Purchase of this course will provide access to the recorded webinar version of the course below.
Course Code: WEB0720h-7
0.1 AOTA CEUs/1 Contact Hours
Target Audience: Licensed/Certified Medical Professional (i.e. PT, OT), Rehab Professional (ATP, SMS, CRTS)
Course Description: Pneumatic or Sip and Puff controls are a common alternative access method for controlling a power chair when the end user has minimal strength and active range of motion. There are several conditions or injuries that lead to impairments affecting the use of a person’s extremities, which may cause the limited ability to utilize joystick type controls. This often leads to the use of switch controls for alternative access. This course will introduce the participant to pneumatic and 2 switch control options while taking a closer look at the setup, programming, and advancements that can be made to maximize an end user’s independence and function.
At the conclusion of the course the participant will be able to:
- Apply the hierarchy of drive controls to determine whether Pneumatic (Sip and Puff) Controls may be a viable option for the end user.
- Explain 2 programming options available for Pneumatic (Sip and Puff) drive controls that can increase independence and maximize function.
- Discuss 2 options for controlling power wheelchairs utilizing 2 switch access options.
- Hour 1
- Introduction- Review Hierarchy of Drive Controls and Switch Types
- Defining Pneumatic Drive Controls and basic use
- Basic to Advanced Pneumatic Drive Control Use options
- 2 Switch Driving Options and Q/A
Course Level: Beginner / Review
Instructional Methods: Lecture, Discussion
AOTA Classification Code: OT Process – Evaluation